Country Club Conservatives Dawdle While the Left Organizes

By: March 06, 2012

Yesterday’s Daily Caller had an excellent article that described the depths of the financial and manpower resources that are being devoted to  get-out-the-vote activities on the left. To no one’s surprise, the SEIU is smack dab in the middle of it all, as the article points out:

“The politically aggressive Service Employees International Union (SEIU) has quietly created a national network of at least eight community-organizing groups, some of which function alongside the Occupy Wall Street movement…”

Meanwhile, country club conservatives around the country are dawdling. They should be providing financial support to local tea parties–those groups that are doing the tough work of building the conservative get-out-the-vote infrastructure that will be needed to defeat President Obama in November. Currently, these efforts are being financed by the spare change collected from the couches of the dedicated local tea party leaders around the country.

Where are country club conservatives putting their money?

They’re sending it to the Republican National Committee, which hasn’t run a decent get-out-the-vote operation since 2000. They’re also sending it to the four Presidential candidates, none of whom, other than Ron Paul, are doing much to build a true grassroots operation. Instead, they’re spending millions on nasty attack ads aimed at their primary opponents which do little other than suppress conservative voter turnout and enrich one of the least deserving groups on the planet–Republican campaign consultants.

One place country club conservatives aren’t putting their money is where it will have the most impact in this November’s elections–in the local tea parties that have the manpower and the enthusiasm needed to get voters to the polls.

Meanwhile, those billionaires the left erroneously claims financed the tea party are spending their time and money in frivolous and egocentric pursuits that are light years from local grassroots tea party. The Koch Brothers, for instance, are embroiled in a hard nosed battle to take control of the Libertarian Cato Institute. Foster Friess is dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into a Rick Santorum Super PAC that does nothing but create and air television ads.

Local tea parties are prepared to drag the Republican Presidential nominee across the finish line to victory, but if country club conservatives and boisterous billionaires on the right wanted to have some distance between our guy and President Obama when Election Day rolls around in November, they would be well advised to change their priorities and start putting some money into local tea party get-out-the-vote efforts.

Michael Patrick Leahy is the editor of the Voices of the Tea Party e-book series and co-founder of Top Conservatives on Twitter and the Nationwide Tea Party Coalition. His new book, Covenant of Liberty: The Ideological Origins of the Tea Party Movement, will be published by Broadside Books in spring, 2012. He can be reached on Twitter at @michaelpleahy .

6 Responses to Country Club Conservatives Dawdle While the Left Organizes

1. John Stephens says:

“Local tea parties are prepared to drag the Republican Presidential nominee across the finish line to victory…”

THIS time. But if the Republicans screw this up, then on November 7th the Tea Party should declare it’s independence from the Republicans and prepare to field candidates for the next election.

• SDN says:

2. Harry says:

With all due respect to our flawed leadership, the Republican Party has not acted like it wants to win a Presidential election since 1896. Case in point- Recently I saw some complaints about how the candidates were dragging each other down. These complaints were in some measure driven by Republican Party leaders. Yet the RNC was contracting with outfits like CNN for the debates. How stupid do you have to be to not realize that it is not in CNN’s interest to leave the Republican candidates looking good? Maybe the Republican Party will start getting some respect when they get off their butts and carry the fight to the Democrats. If you thing that Romney is the guy to do this, then you are part of the problem.

3. cubanbob says:

if the disaster of the Obama Administration isn’t enough to get republicans and the non brain dead out to vote then not even God could run an effective get out the vote drive.

4. A.S.R. says:

Agree that ‘traditional’ Republicans generally do not fund tea party. However, Republican party has run successful and creative get-out-the-vote operations since 2000. They were finding votes in the exurbs in Ohio and elsewhere that no one else had discovered. Thus part of the disconnect between exit polling and the real vote totals in 2004.

5. richard40 says:

“They’re also sending it to the four Presidential candidates, none of whom, other than Ron Paul, are doing much to build a true grassroots operation.”

Not just Ron Paul. Romney also has a good organization in every state, which should serve him well in the general. I agree Santorum and Newt do not, as evidenced by their inability to get on the ballot or field full slates of delegates in many states.

I do agree that it would be a good idea for many other big repub donors, other than the Koch brothers, to donate to local Tea Parties. I think some big donors are worried that the Tea Party is too extreme, but they are not really, they just support basic repub ideas, like spending restraint and smaller gov. Those donors might be worried that the Tea Party will support primary candidates they dont like, but in that case I still hope they donate to the Tea Party once the nomination fights are over, because Tea Party energy will be a huge help in the general. For me, I consider myself a moderate repub in some ways (mainly social issues, I am fully conservative on guns, fiscal policy, and defense). I pretty much completely support the Tea Party as I understand it.

To SDN:
    “This Tea Partier is not going to do that if ORomney is the nominee, and I know I speak for lots of others. If the CCRs want me to vote for their candidate, give me one that’s worth voting for.”

It is Tea Partiers like you that may be giving a false impression of Tea Party extremism and turning off big donors. Big donors do not support putulant children that take their marbles and go home if they dont get exactly what they want. THIS Tea Partier will support any of the 4 that wins the nomination (even Santorum, whom I like the least), basically anybody but Obama. I dont blame you a bit for fighting against Romney, and for your candidate, during the nomination fight, but refusing to vote for him if he wins is just a vote for Obama.

Mind you, if Romney wins, and gets a repub senate, and we still do not get significant spending cuts in his proposed budgets, then even I will take my marbles and go home, and start looking at turning the Tea Party into a 3rd party. But I have followed Romneys speeches closely, and he looks pretty committed to spending restraint to me, in fact on spending he looks better than Newt or Santorum. I agree Romney has a problem on health care, but he has publically and repeatedly stated that he would repeal obamacare.